Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
OkOb Web Forum « Cannot see bmp images directly »

OkOb Web Forum
   VDI Viewer for PDA
   VDIV Discussion
(Moderator: Denis Bakin)
   Cannot see bmp images directly
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cannot see bmp images directly  (Read 2454 times)
jimmy8k8
YaBB Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Cannot see bmp images directly
« on: Sep 12th, 2004, 6:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Denis,

I'm not sure if I completely understand all of VDI functions.  Does VDI work with bmp files directly?

Details: I have Tungsten E with OS 5.2.1.  When I use the Windows software (VD Image Viewer Converter) to either install or create pdb, everything works.  I can view the images on my Palm Tungsten E.  However, when I receive bmp beamed from coworkers and friends, I  don't see it on the file list in VDI.  The file is something like [name].bmp, and the Creator ID is FOTO.  Also, when I install bmp directly using Palm Desktop, I don't see the files in VDI either.

Assuming I didn't screw anything up and VDI does not work with bmp files directly, this is very restrictive.  Approximately 3 out of 4 image files I use on Palm are beamed to me.  I don't have the luxury of installing them using VD Image Viewer Converter in Windows.  And I prefer to use VDI over Palm default Photo application because of the zoom capability.

Can you implement VDI acess of bmp files directly.  Keep up the good work.  Thanks.

Jimmy
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2004, 6:18pm by jimmy8k8 » IP Logged
Denis Bakin
YaBB Administrator

Re: Cannot see bmp images directly
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18th, 2004, 12:14pm »

Hi Jimmy,
I did think of implementing support for accessing various image formats directly from the viewer, but I was planning to start with JPEGs from flash cards (so that photos from digital cameras can be viewed directly). This functionality depends on support for high color modes and in order to be done right require designing a plugin interface, and it would be useful only on the latest Palm handhelds. Besides that I'm targeting the application like viewing dynamically changing images, accessing maps, schematics etc., which means that pure image viewing features cannot be top priority unless they are really easy to implement or somebody needs them so much that would like to sponsor the development .
IP Logged

---------------------------
Denis Bakin
gbeakerolson
YaBB Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Oct 13th, 2004, 10:35am »

Denis,
I'm going to hijack this thread ...
you said, Quote:
...somebody needs them so much that would like to sponsor the development .

Out of curiousity, what price range are you thinking of to "sponsor" development of a feature?
IP Logged
Denis Bakin
YaBB Administrator

« Reply #3 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 8:41pm »

Hi Jimmy,
The price range will depend on the development time and the development time will depend on the exact spec (for example it should be coordinated what BMP compression agorithms are to be supported, etc.). After the spec is  done I should be able to come up with a time estimate and the amount of money would be calculated from $65/hour.
IP Logged

---------------------------
Denis Bakin
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Home OkOb Web Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.