Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
OkOb Web Forum « Your Competitors and VDIV »

OkOb Web Forum
   VDI Viewer for PDA
   VDIV Discussion
(Moderator: Denis Bakin)
   Your Competitors and VDIV
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Your Competitors and VDIV  (Read 9838 times)
dUTCHnEB58
YaBB Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Your Competitors and VDIV
« on: Dec 14th, 2006, 2:53am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have spent the day learning all about graphic formats and trying to get the best quality out of these image viewers. Here's what I found out.

The two most similar products to VDIV out there are Photogatherer, a well built(aesthitically) Chinese Product, and Simple Viewer, a British product. Both seem to be implemented well, but...

Neither would work very well on my Palm TX. They both caused crashes at various places. The Photogatherer 7.5 and its sister product jpeg veiwer, both baulked at the large size files I tried loading. The pan on both would work but then would freeze and crash. Simple Viewer simply wouldn't open one large file.

So far, VDIV has performed wonderfully. The Zooming capability is excellent. I also like the pan function working by tapping the edges, but agree that the navigator buttons would be more useful while driving. I also like your concept of inverting the colors with the backlight on. I made one of my maps like that for driving/Navigating at night. I even experimented with one with red lines on black background for perserving my night vision. The biggest plus at this point would be the larger screen though.

In all fairness to those other products, my experimentation worked best when I optimized my Jpg files like I was going to post them to the web. Photoshop has that option. It also worked best after I minimized my images to 80%, just above 2000x2000.

I did try converting my image to a PDF file which worked O.K. PDF files are significantly smaller than JPeg files.The only problem with that format is that the current Palm viewers(Pdf to Go and Palm Pdf)only allow zooming in 200%. With the sizes of maps I need to use they aren't effective unless its closer to 350/400% The limitation of course is the level of detail vs the ability of the scanner to copy it vs my ability to read it easily on the Palm screen( My vision isn't what it once was.)  

Its Late, I'll try some experimentation again tomorrow. Maybe I'll learn something else.
IP Logged
Denis Bakin
YaBB Administrator

Re: Your Competitors and VDIV
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 11:25am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks for sharing your research results.  

I should tell you that the viewer development has been frozen for a while now, so VDIV should be behind the latest software in this area (especially commercial).
IP Logged

---------------------------
Denis Bakin
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Home OkOb Web Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.