Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
OkOb Web Forum « VDI for PDF viewing »

OkOb Web Forum
   VDI Viewer for PDA
   VDIV Discussion
(Moderator: Denis Bakin)
   VDI for PDF viewing
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: VDI for PDF viewing  (Read 3065 times)
juardo

Email

VDI for PDF viewing
« on: May 2nd, 2010, 8:20am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hello,

I'm thinking of using VDI for reading books in PDF. Sometimes, Most of the time, PDF pages do not fit the Palm TX screen, so it is necessary to do a right-left scrolling. You have to do it for every text line in the page. It's annoying.  

I'm thinking of using VDI for doing the right-left scrolling (and also the down scroll) automatically, just as PalmFiction does the down scrolling, at an appropriate speed.

This would require me learning how to program for Palm OS. Before starting, I'd like to know the following:

- Would it be too difficult to change the code so that large screens, like the TX, can be used? Currently, only half of the screen is used. I've tried Codediver, but it does not work with VDI.

- Would it be difficult to do a smoother scrolling?. I've tried to read a pdf text (previously converted to jpg), and the right scrolling is a bit jerky.

- Do you think it would be difficult to do the automatic scrolling for reading books?.  
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2010, 8:21am by juardo » IP Logged
Denis Bakin
YaBB Administrator

Re: VDI for PDF viewing
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10th, 2010, 5:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

I'm not sure it's a good idea. First of all Palm is a dead OS now. Second, PDF doc pages are going to be converted to images and images need much more memory to store than text.

I do not know what the TX screen size is. If it is 320x320 then you'd only need to tell VDI that it should use that (for Palm it was high resolution) mode and the number of bits per pixel.

I don't think there is an easy way to make the horizontal scrolling smoother.

The automatic scrolling should be relatively easy to do.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2010, 5:35pm by Denis Bakin » IP Logged

---------------------------
Denis Bakin
juardo

Email

Re: VDI for PDF viewing
« Reply #2 on: Jun 13th, 2010, 1:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hello,

I tested the idea by using Isilo's automatic scrolling. I just rotated images 90 degrees, so that vertical scrolling worked as horizontal scrolling. It worked, but it was not comfortable to read (it was a bit "jumpy", I guess because the TX resolution is not that high). If Isilo's programmers were not able to do a better scrolling, I won't be able to do it in VDI, so I've abandoned the idea.

But thanks for the answer!

Cheers,  

read pdfs converted to Isislo's format

on Jun 10th, 2010, 5:34pm, Denis Bakin wrote:
Hi,

I'm not sure it's a good idea. First of all Palm is a dead OS now. Second, PDF doc pages are going to be converted to images and images need much more memory to store than text.

I do not know what the TX screen size is. If it is 320x320 then you'd only need to tell VDI that it should use that (for Palm it was high resolution) mode and the number of bits per pixel.

I don't think there is an easy way to make the horizontal scrolling smoother.

The automatic scrolling should be relatively easy to do.

Hope that helps.

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Home OkOb Web Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.